Friday 8 April 2016

Fun and Games

This week has been an absolute delight. On Monday afternoon we collected our new 'baby' kitten. Let me introduce you to Kiko, which is Japanese for friendly and happy. From what we know she is a Snow Paw X, with long silky fur. The softest fur I've ever seen. This tiny little bundle came home weighing only 560gm, but an overload of cuteness. She is tiny, perfect, beautiful, very chatty and spoilt. At night she sleeps in her travel box and goes right through until we stir in the morning, how blessed am I. I have discovered that Kiko is an inveterate climber with one problem, she can't always get down so.... meow for mommy. Also, if she can't see me she sets up an increasing crescendo of meows looking for me, I am loving it.

Where the fun and games have come in is in introducing her to the rest of the menagerie. Oh my word. Our menagerie consists of Max a yorkie, Sasha a maltese and Gemma the reigning queen of the house. Who until this week has ruled supreme, even over the dogs but especially Max who has a healthy respect/fear of her.

This week it all changed. Enter Kiko. The first time the dogs met her she was in her traveling box, and Max did an intense sniff and look see. This was most unwelcome and she hissed at him which caused him to turn tail and RUN to stand between Hubby's legs shivering. Sasha who is more maternal was more cautious and approached slowly. Gemma however, oh dear. I did not know that my beautiful cat was capable of such ugly noises and such a bad attitude. She has hissed and growled, she leopard crawls through the house scanning the floor and surfaces for the intruder. There are tense, noisy stand offs which result in much tension for me as I'm trying to avoid a full on conflict with injuries.

The dogs adore Kiko and she is fine with them. Max, brave soul that he is, has conquered his fear of Gemma and when there is a hissing confrontation he runs between Kiko to make sure she is ok, and Gemma to try and calm her down. Poor little guy is quite frazzled. The other night Kiko came out of the bedroom and surprised Gemma in the passage which led to the usual ugly noises and two frozen (in position) cats. Max bounded in to sort it out which caused Gemma to whack him in the face and chase him into the dining room, much yelping and hissing. Kiko fled back to the bedroom. Max then turned around and stood up to Gemma and chased her, she ran then turned and went for him as he tried to get out of the hatch in the door, except he didn't go through he bounced back and chased her out, before running to check on the baby. By this time everyone was doubled over laughing.

We have had so many laughs and tender moments, always very welcome with the pressures of daily life. Wherever I go Kiko follows and if I don't pick her up 'on demand' she just calmly climbs up my trousers, never mind the holes and scratches that I am covered in. As I sit and write this she is stretched out on my lap fast asleep. I have no doubt whatsoever that the fun and games are going to continue, although I fervently pray we have peace SOON with Gemma.

Friends I hope this has brought a smile to your face as it has to mine. Have a fabulous weekend, find the joy in the little things, and, above all be safe.

Pic 1. Kiko
Pic 2. Kiko in my old furry boot



No comments: