Friday 22 April 2016

A Successful Week

Success at last. Over the last 8 or 9 years I have experimented, sometimes very successfully, with Gluten free baking and have had as many if not more fails. It is definitely not always easy or rewarding, but when it goes right then WOOHOO. As mentioned in my last post I discovered Coconut Sugar with great delight, and decided to try making Crunchies / Anzac Biscuits. In the past I have tried a number of different sugar substitutes with dismal results. To Hubby and Jelly Bean's credit they have valiantly eaten the failures and always been encouraging. I have the kind of personality that hates giving up on something like this and will keep on testing until I get it right. Well friends, this week was a great success. I made my Wheat/Gluten free, Dairy free, Egg free, coconut sugar crunchies which turned out amazing. Much excitement and rejoicing. Let me say this - the Coconut sugar is brilliant for baking. It has a number of natural minerals unlike 'normal' sugar, it also contains a fibre called Inulin which is said to be the reason why it has a lower GI and doesn't cause sugar spikes. The one draw back is that it has more or less the same calories and carbohydrates as ordinary sugar - 4 cals / 15 gm carbs per teaspoon. I would say that moderation, as with anything, is the rule. As far as the Crunchies go the coconut also helps to lower the GI. Now that I have conquered that particular hurdle I'm looking forward to the next experiment. If anyone would like the revised recipe, please just send me a message.

My knitting project is also coming along nicely, not that I am 'allowed' to knit as freely as I would like due to one little bundle of fur. Speaking of that particular family member, we at last have peace in the home. We can now say that Gemma has accepted Kiko but at this point they are not curl up buddies yet haha. The fascinating thing with Kiko is that her colour is changing. I have never had this happen with any other cat but have read that it is a Birman trait. It can apparently take a year for their colour to develop. At the moment Kiko's fur is slightly darker and her face is becoming a darker brown. She currently looks like she is wearing dark glasses which looks very funny.

With our extended family we have one daughter and her family living in the UK, one son and his family living in Cape Town, my youngest son and his wife also in Cape Town and my other three kids are up here in Johannesburg. We have always managed to get together on a regular basis which are highlights for me. I see the 'local' side of the family at least once a month and look forward to those times with great planning. Right now I am yearning for those that are not close. Our family in the UK seem so far away, and with all those at a distance we Skype to keep up to date. As well as that, we have a 'Family' group chat on What's App which results in everyone being able to partake in a conversation at the same time, sometimes every day. We share jokes, food pics, achievements, love you's and a lot of teasing. The last time we saw Big Bear and Baby Bear was Christmas last year and it feels like an decade. I am sure every mom whose kids live far away will identify with me on this one, the longing to see, hug, sit and catch up in the flesh with your children. Once we move down to the Cape it is still going to be the same, just with different children. The positive aspect though is the planning and build up to the next get together which I am hoping will be soooooon.

Tomorrow we are going to install some beautiful wooden cupboard doors that Hubby made for someone and I'm hoping to take my girls out for coffee while he is busy. Have an awesome weekend friends, enjoy your loved ones and be safe.



No comments: