Monday 8 August 2016

Who says retirement is slow and boring?

Hi folks, I don't know who said retirement is slow and boring, because we haven't stopped. Good grief has it been busy. We have unpacked most of everything so the house is looking like home (sort of), we still need to hang pictures, sort out electrical cables, build a bedroom cupboard, a kitchen table, tea station ......... Should I go on? My dearest Hubby is trying valiantly to 'Max' proof the front fence but everyone who walks past stops to chat and introduce themselves so it is taking a little time haha. Today we thought we would go into town (35 km away) and get the wood for the cupboard, some hardware items we needed, two recliner chairs etc. Well....... It took the WHOLE day and we did not get the wood as it has to be cut and could not get the chairs as they are out of stock, joy of joys. We did however find a super little shopping centre in the next little town/village, Kleinmond, which has a fabulous grocery store and the most gorgeous haberdashery shop which I cannot wait to go back to. To top all of that off last night my iPad suddenly decided to give an error message and would not work, so I thought I would be typing this Blog on my phone but I Googled the problem, followed the steps to correct it and voila here I am, as Hubby says "Google knows everything".

Let me tell you about yesterday. Due to sore bodies (everywhere) I called a rest day although I still found a box to unpack #headinhands, I also 'nested' a bit and made some muffins and a proper cooked supper. When we woke up it was overcast and cold so we made our first fire and by lunch time it was raining, absolute bliss being curled up in the cold with the fire going and the rain on the roof. By 3.30pm the sun was shining so Hubby and I went down to the beach for a walk all wrapped up against the wind and had a bit of a drive around the area seeing what is where. That is the Cape for you all four seasons in one day - I love it. One of the things I enjoy the most is standing on the deck listening to the waves and all the birds and frogs (we think), it is so quiet apart from the noises of nature that one cannot help but relax and breathe it in.

The animals have all settled well if having yappy dogs can be called settled. For the first time in their lives they can see people walking past the house, or the wind blowing through the bushes so there has been a lot of yapping which we are having to stop. The cats are settled and look very lazy as they follow the sun around the room or drape themselves over the back of the furniture.

While we were driving today I just thanked God for His great love and mercy. There were so many times in the past when I did not know where the next meal or months rent was going to come from, He never once let us down, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would EVER be where I am now. When times are tough and the days are dark and seem hopeless, it is hard to imagine anything different and if you do, very often the first thought is "that could never happen to me / I don't deserve that / God only does that for others". Friends God is always faithful and He asks that we stay faithful and strong and never give up believing. In the darkest days there will be blessings if you are prepared to look for and acknowledge them, in the midst of His blessings there will be challenges because that is life. Everyone of us has a story and that story is the sum of who we are and what we have been through, it is our testimony of God's love, His mercy, His grace and His favour.

As I close tonight I pray that whatever circumstances you find yourself in, God will meet you there and that you will be able to find Him in every situation, I pray that His peace will flood your soul and His healing power flow through your body. Have a wonderful week as you look for the rainbows and as always please stay safe.


The beach we walked on


The view from our deck

No comments: