Monday 31 August 2020

Water, water, hail and snow

Good morning everyone and here we go again into a new week and a new month.  As far as BB is concerned we have had a very cold and wet week, gee so much rain and even hail which is rare for our area.  Speaking of the hail, on Saturday during a very heavy hail storm Max decided that if he barked at the ceiling long enough the noisy monster would go away  #tinroof #noisemaker.  Currently there is snow on all the mountains (except those right behind us) - The Helderburg, Gordon's Bay, Kleinmond,  even Table Mountain has some, yesterday morning we measured it was 9 c inside the house at 9.30, our little fire place has commendably done double duty.  We have also discovered that Charlie is not the happiest little chap when the mercury drops too far down, he curls into such a tight little ball that I am surprised that he can still breathe haha
Water, water everywhere, after being without electricity on monday due to a power pole catching alight,  late Tuesday afternoonon  all of a sudden there was a loud noise accompanied by quite a lot of other noise which I thought was Hubby was dragging the generator, after a few minutes I decided to investigate and we discovered that the geyser (above our bedroom) had blown its 'gasket' or correctly put, the Air Valve on top of the solar system blew off and we had a geyser of hot water spewing up in a glorious fountain.  Out came the ladder and up went Hubby to fix and stop the fountain which by then had emptied the geyser, a piece of plastic had perished 😬  It happened again in a different place while he was up on the roof a couple of days later .... such fun.  Two days later I kept noticing wet splotches on the fleece on our bed, I wasn't sure if one of the animals had had an 'accident'  or if Hubby had spilt my morning drink - I sniffed = no smell so dried it up.  Every time I walked through it looked wet until that evening I looked up at the ceiling and ....... you guessed it, water was dripping slowly through the pine ceiling, such joy NOT!!  Living down here AND having a flat roof,  leaks are an ongoing issue, hardly a week goes by that we don't see someone on a roof doing repairs or a plea on one of the Groups for someone to recommend a roofer.  This bedroom drip was most unwelcome but on investigation the 'gap' was located and repaired so here is holding thumbs.

I was thoroughly blessed on my birthday with the family time on Sunday, gorgeous gifts and so many, many beautiful messages, thank you everybody.  One of most unexpected gifts received was an Instant Pot, so there has been quite a bit of experimentation going on as I learn how to operate all the different functions.  So far I have steamed a half frozen spatchcock chicken, stewed a meat dish and made yoghurt all successfully,  although having said that perhaps I should have let the yoghurt go double the time as it is a little more liquid than I personally prefer - I just drained the liquid off and  it tastes delicious - the pot is soooo quick and saves a lot of dirty dishes.  I was sceptical when I heard friends and family talking about their Pots but I can say every word was true (pics below)
It was also both of the Bears birthdays so in general so very much to be thankful for and rejoice over, they were able to spend the weekend in Kommetjie with friends even managing a swim which could only have been freezing brrrrr.
Eventually I managed to get my rear into gear and bake Hubby some rusks, it's been awhile lol  - and all this after promising myself I was going to have a slow week to try and ease the flare, I am now at the point where I have no option but to slow down for a few days and play catch up, I will even slow down with my embroidery and get in some more reading as I have lovely new books to read hehe.  
Also, on Saturday all of a sudden we realized that the Tour de France started, I have no idea how it crept  up on me, I knew it had been delayed but wasn't expecting it now haha - my favorite sporting event of the year, so it gives me a good excuse to sit awhile. 😉

Enough rambling from me, have a wonderful week folks, stay warm (and dry), please stay safe and stay healthy.  Ciao ciao

Spatchcock chicken cooked from half frozen on a trivet in the Instant Pot, I did not brown it in the oven.
Homemade Yoghurt

No comments: