Monday 3 August 2020

Four years !!!

Hello, hello, hello everybody ...... it is August already how did we get here ?  On Saturday it also marked our four year anniversary of arriving in the Cape and the start of our retirement, I can honestly say that I have never been as busy as now and Hubby agrees with me, it just never stops.  There is no way that retirement is quiet and boring.

After yet another week of projects, and things on the go I can  honestly say that there were no major dramas.  Cats, dogs, house and humans all made it through the week unscathed.😁  On Monday it was our 13th wedding anniversary and we treated ourselves to lunch at Drummond Arms a local Pub/Restaurant in Rooi Els just down the road from us.  I decided to take Charlie as I wanted to see how he handled being in that type of environment, he was a little champ.  He made friends with the owner although just sniffed at the bowl of water she especially brought for him and, was quite happy to sit next to us or walk around within the scope of his leash, whoop whoop.
Hubby as usual was in and out with watches, shopping and the never ending list of chores as was I.  This was rusk baking week so I got them out of the way early on, then it was the mundane things like doing my nails (a big job) and various other household things that when you live in the Cape you keep in reserve for good sunshiny days, like washing linen etc. in other words just a normal, domesticated week.  I made sure that I found time to work on my Quilt Squares and I'm now on number three, with each one I get more organized and my stitching improves - even though embroidery may not be the 'in' thing I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge as well as the sense of achievement on each one that I complete.

I think I have mentioned that we are supporting a local enterprise which delivers a variety of meal, vegetable and fruit boxes every week.  This week we decided to switch things up and ordered their Vegan box - honestly there are SO many items in a box that I won't even try and list them here, suffice to say that it keeps us going for almost the whole week.  I mention this because this week's box contained Waterblommetjies (small water flowers) which is a Cape delicacy, they grow in dams and small rivers. Hmmmmm I will admit I lifted an eyebrow when I saw them and figured it was 'do or die', so yesterday I cooked them in a stew with lamb - the recommended method.  Whilst I was prepping this large bunch of green stuff, they need to be washed very thoroughly, I was doubtful if I would even eat them.  Regardless, into the pot they went, I did not do a taste test hehe and served them with rice. Well ......... they were very nice, we can't identify or explain the taste as it is very subtle/unobtrusive but having the lamb and potatoes made it a really good meal.  So I am now initiated and not only know what Waterblommetjie Bredie is, but I can cook it as well. 🙌🏻

Folks other than all the above, the family are well.  There is a lot of stress as even members of our family are dealing with salary cuts and all the other stressors that seem to come hand in hand with CoVid 19 and the ongoing lockdown and limitations. During this time I have become acutely aware of the fact that without God many people are without hope, it is a time of increased prayer, blind faith, trusting in God our Father, encouraging others and staying positive - no small task but just in our own family we have seen the Hand of God move in answered prayers and  small miracles.  I want to encourage all of you not to give in to the negativity that slams  into us at every turn of the head, stop reading the news if you have to, stay off social media if it triggers negative and overwhelming feelings and thoughts.  There is only ONE person we can count on to bring us through these times and that is God our Heavenly Father.  At this time more than perhaps any other time in your life you need to put your trust in Him.  He says in the Bible that :  He does not change Malachi 3 v 6. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Hebrews 13 v  8.  His constant love and faithfulness is steadfast and will never cease.  Psalm 100 v 5.  Take all your worries, cares, problems and troubles to Him and leave them as His feet.  God our Heavenly Father will never desert you or fail you.

I wish you all a wonderful week, stay safe and stay well.  Ciao ciao 

The A frame bookshelf  my talented Hubby made on order.
Waterblommetjie Bredie (stew)


No comments: