Monday 11 May 2020

Too much drama for one week !

Good morning everyone I hope this finds you well and safe.  Happy Mothers Day for yesterday to all the moms out there, and a special hug from me to those of you who were not able to receive a hug from your children.  Big Guy set up a family Zoom meeting and it was so precious to at least see everyone together and do a very quick catch up, we actually ran out of time it went by so fast, I still had so many things to say.  
Well ....... we had a week and a half.  I have been forbidden by Jelly Bean to use the q***te day/week word or phrase any more, because the minute I do everything goes pear shaped.

Last Monday we awoke at 7am to Charlie vomiting which, in itself is not an unusual event.  We carried on with our business but he refused to eat which was a BIG red flag and just continued to vomit.  I called our vet who sent me an SMS stating it was an emergency to travel through to Strand (in case we encountered a road block).  So for the first time in more than six weeks  we travelled our beloved Clarence Drive, it was so peaceful and so good to see the sea in large vistas.  After a thorough check up Charlie was diagnosed with a very sore, tender tummy.  I learnt a few things - he is not 5 yrs old as per S.P.C.A. but only just 1 year, which totally explains his puppy behaviour and nature.  Rice especially brown rice is not good for dogs as it contains arsenic (that's why we are supposed to rinse our rice before cooking) and too much fiber.  It would appear that he has a delicate gastrointestinal tract made worse by the fact that he had a very heavy hook worm infestation when he arrived in Jhb,  the brown rice was one grain too many.  So armed with antibiotics, Med's, probiotics, deworming pills all round and a whopper of an injection to help with the tummy pain and nausea we made a quick stop to buy a new car battery for Hubby's car and a quick stop at the fabric store to buy some fleece for doggie jackets before enjoying the drive home.  Charlie Chop is now on a special gastrointestinal dog food and is as right as rain.  Max and Sasha are back on Krummel pap, no rice, with their raw food diet.

We then had a big faith 'challenge' when Big Guy received a letter from work to say they were busy retrenching and everyone would know within 72 hours - time for more intense prayer all round, and boy did we pray.  In order to keep myself occupied I decided to start making all three dogs winter jackets..... on my goodness,  why does everything I attempt turn into a monumental mission ?  I used their old jackets saddle style, as patterns and began cutting and sewing away.  First off by the end of the day it looked like someone had caught a flock of birds and defeathered them, fleece is messy and fuzzy to work with.  It took me three days to get these blessed jackets right, it should have been so easy.  Problem No1 when I traced them onto paper I completely ignored the fact that the straps going around their neck and tummy, being saddle straps with velcro were overlapped.  I spent an entire day sewing on 20 press studs only to finish and everything was too big ... duh. Wake up Sharon.  Needless to say I did eventually sort them all out and everyone now has a warm, soft, snuggly jacket to wear in winter.  I will make another set but not quite yet, I need recovery time haha.  On Thursday Big Guy heard that his job was safe, the relief was immense. i honestly and truly do not know how people manage to cope without the knowledge that God is in control.  It was purely trust and faith in His grace and mercy that kept us sane. Sadly his two immediate superiors were both retrenched and our prayers are with them and the countless other families struggling, so much heartache in our country at the moment.  

During all this, between them the animals kept us constantly entertained.  Hubby put the Yorkie food tin on the kist and while I was working I watched Charlie come from the bedroom, walk past the kist and see the pic of the yorkie on the tin LOLOL he jumped back with such a fright and then prowled around the kist and fireplace giving both a very wide berth, watching and growling at the tin all the while.  Sasha has found herself a new bed on top of all the rolled up throws which are kept in a basket, we think she has done this to get away from Charlie who always wants to play with her, she is a grand old dame now.  He had been pestering her and then she disappeared, jumped up onto her new bed which Charlie didn't see.  Awhile later he came around the back of the couch and as he did he caught sight of her and actually let out a yelp of fright and ran away before cautiously going back to investigate further.  Oh my word we nearly wet ourselves laughing.  Then ....... still minding our own business and working in the lounge we did not see that Zeepha had hidden in the long life six pack milk box .  Again poor little Charlie came trotting past the box and she jumped out, the little guy took off as if a pack of wolves  were after him.  Those are the highlights of our pet entertainment for the week.

On Friday evening just as I got into bed around 10 pm  my phone rang and it was Princess, the minute I answered I knew there was a problem.  Poppet had gone to get ready for bed, in turning to put excess pillows on the dressing table she somehow managed to crunch her little toe (wearing slippers) on the corner of the table.  She had completely dislocated her smallest 'little piggy' which was by then headed in the opposite direction to all her other little piggies.  Bear in mind we are more that 1500 km  apart.  It is after 10 pm.  South Africa is under a curfew from 8pm to 5 am.  Therefore was nothing else to do but utter a quick prayer, offer immediate relief suggestions i.e. Ice, elevate, strong sweet tea, painkillers.  My hat goes off to this granddaughter of mine, she stayed as cool as a cucumber from the very start, followed all my directions all the while trying to calm and console her mom. We were told later though that when she first walked in and saw the toe she burst into laughter, briefly.  Eventually we had to take the bull by the horns and readjust that little 'piggy'.  She did everything by the book as I talked her through it and pulled and relocated that tiny piggy right back into its normal position.  My phone was not on speaker, Poppet had a cushion in front of her face and Hubby and Jelly Bean heard her from the lounge as the toe was manipulated.  Clever girl that she is Princess then strapped the little piggy next to its neighbor using her sport strapping and tucked mom into bed for the night.  GOSH nothing like a little drama to end off one hell of a  week.  Needless to say I did not sleep very well that night or the three nights before it.  Happily Poppet is fine, still recovering and strapped up and that little toe is exactly where it usually is.

And that folks is a small insight into the craziness that was my life last week.  Seeing them all yesterday and being able to laugh, joke and  Praise the Lord  made it all worthwhile.  I would not exchange my family for all the gold in the world, love you guys to infinity.
Folks I wish you all a wonderful week, I am making no wishes or predictions regarding mine 🤐.  Please look after yourselves, stay safe and enjoy the special moments with your family be they human or pets, I hope my stories bought some lightand laughter to start your week.  Ciao ciao .

Three little doggies jackets in a row.
Charlie modeling after a nice bath


No comments: