Monday 25 May 2020

The last week of May

Good day folks on this the last week of May, oh my gosh where did this year go ??  It feels like one week just becomes the next month on one hand and on the other, like time is standing still, until you look at the calendar.  

Well a busy week was had but then I half expected it haha,  it would almost be too much to have two quiet weeks in a row.  Apart from all the usual household chores which never seem to diminish in the slightest or, even better go away completely, there was the usual baking required to fill up our rusk tin which if you look quickly has a huge hole which goes to "I wonder where" hmmmmm.  I decided that whilst I had everything out and the oven on I would make some lovely biscotti - yeah right !!! Ever since we moved down to the Cape I have not had one batch come out properly and my eventual conclusion is that I need to add liquid (none called for in the recipe) because the minute it comes to cutting them I have biscuit crumb central.  I felt like weeping, after all that hard work, ingredients and time but, the crumbs and little chunks taste great which is some consolation.  I'm going back to the drawing board on these.  
We had accumulated quite a few things that could only be done in Hermanus (within our Municipal Borders) and so decided to combine the trip with a grocery shop and kill all the 'birds' with one stone.  Up early and we left at 8 am when it is only just getting light here so that we could be in the grocery store before the 'many' arrived.  I have not been in a grocery store since the 17th of March and had a great time stocking up on things we seldom buy, different kinds of meal options etc,  it felt almost like party time.  From there we had to do three stops to collect various things before heading home and then the whole sanitize EVERYTHING and put it all away, it's like doing the shopping three times in one day.  Needless to say my little jaunt kind of  knocked me flat but it was worth it.  Beyond that I must say I am enjoying the liberty of online shopping and not having to worry about what I touch or brush against, apart from the fact these darn masks are just hot !!!!
Hubby is all but finished putting up the IBR roofing on the deck, the weather which changed yesterday brought him to an abrupt halt and also left him quite frustrated as he only has two panels left to put on.  It looks beautiful and contrary to what I was worried about has not darkened the lounge in any way, you still feel as if you are outside, without the baking sun whoop whoop, we are getting there slowly.

The family are fairly well although some are dealing with sinusitis, Poppet had to take Princess to the doctor after a visual consultation could bring no diagnosis.  Princess  hurt her shoulder towards the end of last year and has stoically pushed through until now, when the pain became unbearable.  It turns out she has very severe Bursitis, so a couple of injections, strong anti-inflammatories and pain killers  and a sling support she is still in a lot of pain but looking forward to being better.  Obviously out of all sport for at least 4 months, which, given the current situation is not going to be a problem.  Whilst at the Dr, Poppet had an X-ray on her little toe that got so badly graunched, not only did she break it but it was what they call a S break which is the same effect as wringing out a towel.  Thank the Lord that when Princess manipulated it back she set it perfectly, so now it is properly strapped for the next month and both of them will be taking things easy for awhile.  

As the wind started picking up yesterday, we had absolutely hectic gale force winds and rain all night which meant very broken sleep, my gosh at times I wonder how the roof stays on, we got hammered but Praise the Lord no damage.  Our first winter (a tad late I would say) big cold front, which is going to bring more rain and snow.   I see the wind is picking up again so an inside type of day with a big fire.
I pray you all stay well, stay safe and have a glorious week. Ciao ciao 

PS.  The pics of the little blighters who keep badgering our birds at the feeder, taken from inside the kitchen, in the third you will see a bul-bul waiting his turn.  We have two options to stop them getting to the feeder and hopefully the birds will then  be free to drink whenever they want.




No comments: