Monday 22 May 2017

It's been a whirlwind week.

Hi all, this week seems to have passed like a whirlwind, there is always just so much going on, we are definitely learning to do different things and make the most of our time, last week while staying in town for one of Jelly Bean's shifts we went to Gordons Bay for breakfast. We found a lovely restaurant right across the road from the beach where we could sit outside and take our time eating, one of the things about being in the Cape is that people are far more friendly, we got chatting to two gents who were doing a day trip through to Franschoek by motorbike and were discussing which route to take. After our meal we took our books, camera (of course) and chairs and sat right next to the beach reading, thankfully it was sunny but cool with no wind, we didn't get much reading done just because there was so much to look at and most people who went past greeted us, such a different mind set down here. From there we went up the mountain to the Steenbras Water Plant which is about two thirds of the way up the mountain, there is a look out point there and the view is absolutely spectacular. we could see right across to the Peninsular, hampered only by a bit of smog on the other side.

We are doing just a tad more driving than usual as Jelly Bean is having driving lessons in Kleinmond which is in the opposite direction to Somerset West but well worth it as so much has changed since we last did drivers licenses haha, I am pretty sure if most of us had to take our Drivers Licenses test now we would fail. I do so treasure the days when I don't have to leave the house mmmmm. For a couple of weeks I have been watching the blooming of a Protea bush across the road from us and on Saturday Hubby dearest and I walked across and I managed to get a couple of beautiful photos of this magnificent specimen, on our way over I had been telling him about a tame Guinea Fowl that had gone missing from a house near us when we saw the owner out on their deck calling him. Speedy is his name and he went missing on Friday so everyone has been on the lookout for Speedy, we saw a bird next door but it turned out to be a Cape Francolin, anyway long story short Speedy was found nearby yesterday and happily reunited with his family. (shades of Max aka Houdini). Only in Bettys Bay I can assure you.

I read a very interesting article from the Irish Times which spoke about the benefits of genuine sourdough bread. Bread that needs a starter and then is left for at least 18 - 24 hours to prove before baking. Apparently the longer the dough is left to prove the easier it is for your body to digest, so my starter is now on Day 3, I have to keep adding to it for seven days before it can be used and thereafter it just gets topped up and kept going. I can't wait to see and taste what the real bread tastes like and what effect it has in terms of digestion, watch this space for updates.

This morning Jelly Bean and I went and had coffee with a very special, unique lady whom I met here in BB and we had an absolute blast, so much laughter, really good Italian Coffee and a spectacular view. I'm looking forward to many more fun visits and coffee.
In amongst all the 'fun' stuff there is so often those very unwanted times of stress. Early on Friday morning Princess phoned and the moment I answered the call I knew it wasn't good news. She had been involved in a car accident where three other cars had rammed into the back of her, she was on an adrenalin overload from the shock, her car is still drivable thank the Lord and when we could eventually convince her to go the doctor he sent her for full neck and spine X-rays where, as we suspected, he saw that she had sustained a very severe whiplash. So with various pain and muscle medication and a neck collar later she is still very sore but on the mend, I still thank God for His protection because it could so easily have been much, much worse and that is why friends it is so important for us to pray for our families on a daily basis.

After such a busy start to this week I am going to be doing my utmost best to try and have a good few 'chill and re-charge' days. I laughed at my darling Hubby on Saturday after he very kindly offered to do both trips to work and back because I was just too sore, when I apologized he said "well it's not your fault if all your spoons fell off" hahaha. Spoons is an analogy used for energy for those with Fibro or Chronic Fatigue, the theory is that every spoon represents your energy required for the day, sometimes it takes all my spoons just to get up, dressed, make up on and house sorted. God truly blessed me with a husband in a million, thank you my Darling. Please be safe folks.

Pics from high up the mountain at the Steenbras Water Station.


Beautiful Protea growing wild.

No comments: