Friday 23 September 2016

Busy week, exciting weekend.

Woohoo it's Friday which means we get to see some of the family this weekend and in nine sleeps Princess arrives for a week long visit which all adds up to a happy Friday. Somehow retirement seems to mean life is busier than ever, I'm not quite sure how that works but for us it is a fact. This week has flown past in a very satisfying way, what I mean by that is we have completed so many little tasks and projects which seem negligible but actually add up and make the 'To Do List' really long. After much huffing and puffing with the original installation (by the installer - Hubby Dearest) and then a good few fires made before finding the correct method we now have our anthracite heater up and running, ensuring some lovely cosy evenings and on the cold days it really heats up the whole house. One of the things I've been on the lookout for is a Coal Scuttle or suitable container, but being me I didn't want just any scuttle. This morning when Jelly Bean and I went into Kleinmond to do the weekly shopping we popped into a Second Hand shop which none of us had been into, we walked around having a good look and just as I was asking the owner if she had any Coal Scuttles my eye caught THE one. It is exactly what we wanted - an antique brass scuttle with wooden handles and just oozing character and history, never mind that it only cost R100 now thats what I call a good shopping trip.

We've done lots of little touch up jobs, I restrung the Roman Blinds which now look much better, Hubby got stuck into the garden, rearranging of things here and there and the house is really now looking and feeling like home. It's funny how new routines happen without planning and things that felt awkward to begin with are now perfectly normal. We also took a walk on the 'big' Silversands beach which was absolutely amazing. The water was crystal clear especially in the little rock pools, it was so clear that a group of guys wanting to fish left because the water was just too clear, the colours were magnificent and none of my photos actually did them justice. The beach is pristine, flat and long, everything I love for a good walk.

On the pet front there is never a dull moment either. After yet more escapes, one as far as the main road, we stood around the corner watching Max and he actually jumps up and down until he gets a foothold high enough then climbs over the top of the fence. We have now tied a light plastic ball on a lead to his harness which means he can around as much as he wants but the ball stops him getting through any small spaces, it certainly hasn't slowed him down for a second haha. We also discovered that there is quite a problem with ticks and fleas down here so yesterday found me dosing all four of them in a row, if there is one thing I cannot handle is ticks and fleas especially as the cats sleep on and in our bed, just the thought of them makes me itch haha. Kiko on one of her adventures this week managed to lose her collar which had her name tag and bell on, look as hard as we have there is still no sign of it so she is wearing a different collar and bell with a duplicate name tag of Gemma's, at least it has my phone number on it. Suffice to say she was highly unimpressed with us pulling ticks off her although thankfully doesn't bear grudges. In fact last night at dinner time for some reason she decreed my lap the place to sit which caused much hilarity during the meal as she exuded curiosity and cuteness.

Gee I miss the family so much, if feels like all the little ones are growing up so fast and all the 'big' ones are so busy - I just miss them all. I have Sunday lunch all planned (as requested by BigBear) and whatever the weather decides we will be comfortable and together. Hubby is also getting ready to set up the fishing rods for Princess' visit, whilst I am planning some shell and pebble collecting amongst other things. Amongst all of this activity Jelly Bean is learning to drive so her and I have been taking regular practice rides all around our immediate vicinity and I am happy to say she is doing extremely well. All in all friends as I've said - it is always busy around here. On that note I am going to wish you all a wonderful weekend filled with love and laughter. Wherever you go please stay alert and safe.


A yield sign at the penguin colony that made us laugh


One of the rock pools on our walk with a school of little fish


Our gorgeous antique coal scuttle.


Kiko eyeing my dinner

No comments: