Monday 20 July 2020

From one extreme to the other.

Good morning folks, I hope this finds you all well and happy.  It would appear that living down here winter this year is determined to be inconsistent, from freezing cold and gale force winds by Wednesday we had sunny skies, no wind, enormous waves far out to sea which were about 12 - 15 m high, two days later the sea was like a pond and the temperatures much warmer - we now have all year round clothes. No winter wardrobe and summer wardrobe hehe.

A good week on the whole was had by all in this house, we accomplished a lot and I actually managed to pace myself fairly well.  On Tuesday I took a deep breath and removed Jelly Bean's stitches (she had cut herself very badly about 10 days before) this was definitely a first for me, but I did not hurt her and got them all out smoothly.  🙌🏻  Princess went back to school, although I don't know if it is going to last as they seem to be going every second day and have already had 6 positive cases.  Hats off to her though for keeping up with and totally abreast with all her school work, well done angel.   The usual frustrations of working from home during lockdown were heightened this week for Big Guy, Poppet and Princess as  the country now has load shedding added to all the other things.  For some reason Gauteng seems to be having beyond normal hours of load shedding / power outages.  In the last week Poppet calculated that apart from load shedding they had in total 30 hours of no electricity, it is quite ridiculous and beyond annoying at the best of times, made much worse for all those trying to work and meet deadlines.

Hubby moved quite a few watches in and out so has been busy on that side, he also installed a Polycarbonate awning over our 'front' door in an effort to stop some of the rain coming in AND to keep us 3% drier when trying to get into the house hahaha, hard when the rain comes in horizontally during a gale.  Aesthetically it also makes a big difference to that side of the house, silicone was also applied to some problem windows - the north side of our house, facing the mountain, takes the brunt of the storms and it doesn't take much for water to get into places it shouldn't'.  A number of people in the Village reported  roof pieces blown off, sliding glass doors blown in and cracked or shattered, some even had the aluminum door / window frames were bent and buckled  I spent a crazy amount of time trying to prepare myself for actually making an embroidered quilt, who would think it would be so hard to find out what type of batting to use and if crochet thread can be used ....... good grief. The fabric shops were hopeless and just passed me from one to the other.  At one point I emailed the Quilters Guild down here and was blown away when not one but two ladies phoned me, even though both recommended different things 😂😂.  The second lady went out of her way to advise me and is apparently also starting a candle wicked quilt, she was kind enough to send me pics of some of her squares.  I really have to say they seem to be a very friendly group of ladies.  After ALL the research I have finalized what I will use and thanks to lockdown and the 'new' way of shopping have asked my ever patient Hubby to make two stops for me today on his way into Cape Town to deliver the wooden A frame shelves that he made.  He will be supplied with photos of exactly what I need and who to speak to 🤞🏻. In the meantime I took two old pillowcases and traced a design onto them and have used them to practice on, which has been fun.  In all my searching I came across a picture of an embroidery stand on Pinterest (I didn't know such a thing even existed) and this VERY talented man of mine promptly sat down on Saturday and made me one, it is amazing - completely adjustable, folds flat and even has a tray so that my trusty sewing pest, ooops assistant, Zeepha cannot swipe things off the surface.  See pics at the end.  In my opinion he could sell these, they will be perfect for embroidery and even for small paintings.
Apart from Zeepha's new passion for sewing and Max making two escapes, taking Sasha with him, the menagerie are all well along with their human slaves.

Well friends and family, that is most of my news and highlights for the week.  With all that is going on in this country and in the world I would just like to encourage you with this thought. Every day is a challenge on many different levels, as hard as it can be try and keep your focus on the positives, even if you have to switch off the news.  It is up to each one of us to keep ourselves well, calm and posigive.  The same God who parted the sea for Moses is still on the throne and will part the seas of turbulence and uncertainty for YOU, if you will only ask Him in faith.
Have a blessed week and please stay well, stay healthy and stay safe.  Ciao ciao.

My one of a kind, made to order embroidery stand.


One finished pillowcase 




No comments: