Monday 21 October 2019

History, Memories and Old Friends.

Good morning all, I suddenly realized just how far into this year we are and got quite a shock, it's 60 something days until Christmas, what happened?  The weeks just seem to fly past and I guess being retired and not seeing the date every day has something to do with it, but it really feels like half of the year just disappeared.

This last week was one of those 'flying' week's catching up of some chores in the house and then all because of one photograph that I was looking for it ended up being a complete clean out and re-organization - of my kist.  There was one pic I needed to find and once I got started then there was no stopping, let me say I've had my kist since I was 16 and quite literally it contains my life history.  The ONLY way to do it last week turned out that I emptied the entire contents onto the floor, mountains of things, right down to and including sweeping up all the bits and pieces at the bottom.  I then started separating things, vacuum packed kids toys, putting things in order and boxing accordingly, at one point my Hubby walked in for about the 5th time and stated that there was no way I as going to finish in one day.  Seeing as how I just cannot live with things lying around it was not an option, I had to finish and I did with the exception of one bag of cards and letters and two boxes of photographs which I am going to sort out this week.  Since my talented Hubby started working on watches and clocks this year I have looked more than once throughout the year for my Dad's watch which I inherited when he passed away in 1969, it has been in my kist for all these years and through all the moves I made, but despite looking for it I hadn't been able to find it and was really heart sore that in preparing for the move to BB I had somehow thrown it out. Just as I was closing up for the day I found a small clear plastic box that had photos in and was about to add it to the picture pile when I turned them into my hand and felt an odd shape, lo and behold, there wrapped in Carlton paper was Dad's watch.  From what Hubby can see it was made in 1947 and at this stage it looks like he will be able to fix it, as it is not a huge masculine watch in today's terms I will then be able to wear it again for the first time since I was about 16, I cannot express how totally blessed I feel.  I will post a pic when it is working.  Needless to say that Thursday's activities left me exhausted and in agony all through Friday, but then came the weekend.

As a birthday gift to my dear Hubby on reaching the grand age of 70 Mr & Mrs Muffet in the UK blessed us with a meal voucher for a very smart restaurant just outside of Somerset West, 96 on Winery.  We had been there before for my birthday in 2016 and decided to make the reservation for Saturday, I am talking fine dining, Masterchef dining.  We were so totally blessed and had a wonderful meal, I didn't make quite the best choice of a main dish, but that aside the whole experience was incredible.  They also have a glass fronted fridge which I could see had something white on the shelves and couldn't t work out what it was, being me of course I asked.  Apparently the way they age their beef is to completely cover it in rendered whale fat and leave it for a period of time, the beef then absorbs the fat causing a lot of marbling to take place whithout drying the meat out too much.  That was the very last thing I would have guessed when I asked.  From there we went on to meet two ladies who had been in the Church my late husband and I started in Cape Town back in 1982, they were the reason for looking for the picture hehe.  We haven't seen each other for more than 27 years were instantly recognizable and what a wonderful time we spent with S and L, soooo many things to talk about and catch up with that even after I got home I was still thinking about things I meant to ask, it always amazes and blesses me when re-connecting with some people after years and years that one can carry on as if you saw each other last week, these types of connections are always like gold to me and I treasure every moment.  

Yesterday seeing as South Africa was playing in the Quarter Final of the Rugby World Cup
Hubby and I went up to the local pub to watch the game, well done to the Springboks who did us proud. The family are all well although I believe Big Guy, Poppet, Princess and Sonshine are all busy melting up in Gauteng as they enter a second week of heatwave, sorry guys.  BigBear and BabyBear are having an absolute ball in Europe and have made us all very envious with the incredible pics they have been taking.  Today they are on their way to Munich which is their last stop before returning to Italy for their flights home at the weekend, safe and happy travels guys.  
Jasper caught his first ever bird on Friday night and was very proudly sitting with it when Hubby came through on Saturday morning #facepalm, I'm hoping he doesn't make a habit of this.  Little Zeepha is happy as long as she can find a box or packet to play in and had a blast when I was busy with the kist, in and out and all over the show.  She is currently obsessed with the laser light I bought and will sit for hours near me waiting for it to turn on, I have it clipped to my iPad cover so have become even more popular with her haha.

Well folks this was a long Blog so I am going to say Ciao Ciao for now, have a wonderful week wherever you are and don't forget to always take some time to appreciate the small and things in life, the smell of a flower or the ocean, time with a friend or loved one, those little moments that just happen and are usually just glossed over.  Be safe out there.

Some pics from Saturday Lunch.






No comments: