Monday 10 April 2017

Never a dull moment

Good morning from a chilly, windy Betty's Bay where I do believe winter is making its presence felt gently, needless to say that makes me one very happy girl. Talk about a week of weather extremes, last week certainly rates up there on the scale. I find it so exciting watching the ocean and its various moods, there are no two days the same. Because we are driving the coast road almost daily that gives us constant differing views. We went from calm as a fish pond, to absolutely massive swells and waves, to such strong winds that we had to really hold on tight to the steering wheel, on that particular day the wind was blowing the spray across the water to such an extent that it looked like mist. Unfortunately it was blowing so hard that I couldn't take any photos good enough to share because it was impossible to keep the camera still. On the way into Somerset West we noticed an incredibly bright and wide rainbow against the mountains in Gordons Bay and I thought that by the time I returned it would be gone, on the contrary when I got back there it had spread right across the mountain and had a smaller one behind it. I was then able to count another six huge rainbows on the way home, most of which were doubles, I personally have never seen so many and such vibrant rainbows ever. We have had some rain although not enough to make any measurable difference yet.

We also had a somewhat unusual visitor during the week. You know when you hear a noise (in this case the dogs barking) which keeps on and on then all of a sudden you are aware and it's WHAT ARE YOU BARKING AT? Well our two frantic, hysterical dogs had found a tortoise such a cute little guy, and they had decided he was the threat of all threats. Good grief. We would have loved to leave him in the yard but I was worried that Max might actually hurt him and at the very least would drive him insane or deafen him. It took quite a while for him to accept a new path because no matter where we put him he kept coming back. Eventually Hubby dearest put him into the plot next door which has a LOT of fynbos, peace restored, or so we thought. On Saturday the same thing all over again only this time on the side of the house, on investigation we found 'Timothy' the tortoise busy making his way back up toward the road using our fence as a guide line. In desperation for all our sakes and sanity I brought both the dogs inside. I wonder what they would do if they saw Scott the local leopard?

On a more personal note I have cut my meat consumption back to practically zero in an 'experiment' to see whether it makes any difference to my health. Amazingly enough I am not craving or wanting meat but it does stretch the brain cells in terms of providing tasty and nutritious meals without having to make two separate dishes. So far I cannot say I've noticed a huge difference on the pain scale but there is a definite improvement on the IBS, only time will tell. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that stains on clothing or anywhere for that matter, and I have an understanding. They appear and I make them disappear, I wage war on stains. Well yesterday I encountered a problem I've never had before. I splashed curry onto a white top, just four tiny spots, but OUT they had to go, so I did all the usual tricks with no success, then used my old friend Bleach. Horror of horrors, it removed the curry stain and left me with a bight pink and white tie dye looking shirt ????? According to Google a common problem judging by all the questions on how to remove it. Nothing worked so eventually I put it into another bleach solution with some of my washing powder and left it overnight, this morning Voila - stain GONE even though it took aver 12 hours. That was one for the books.

I know that I am always telling people to be safe and those are not empty words. On Monday last week I had a really strong urge to pray for my youngest son, BigBear which I did. I phoned him and asked if everything was ok which it was and left it at that although I continued to pray for them all. One night during the week he and Babybear were on their way home after gym and they noticed a scuffle going on in the bushes on the side of the road. As they drove past they saw that three men were attacking an elderly couple, so he drove around, parked the car and got out running towards the scuffle. #momsheadinherhands. Seeing him coming, he is 6'8" tall, the attackers fled leaving a hysterical lady and her husband drenched in blood, he had been cut with a panga. This couple were tourists and staying in a hotel just across the road. Between them Bigbear and Babybear got the couple back to their hotel, tried to stop the bleeding and call for an ambulance and the police. This scenario could have ended so very differently and I truly believe that was why I felt the need to pray so strongly. Needless to say I am SO proud of my son and his wife for being such amazing human beings although the 'mom part' of me always wants to keep my family safe. His words to me were "Mom I had to help and would like to think that if it was you guys in a foreign country, someone would come to your aid and do the same." Thank you Lord for protecting our families on a daily basis. Last night we had Babybear stay over as she has to work in Hermanus and surrounding areas today, such a treat to have her here. We had a super relaxed evening but this morning was where things got funny. When I got up to make tea Jasper followed me as usual but when he got to the threshold of the bedroom/lounge he came to a standstill and went into a low crouch, looking suspiciously from corner to corner in the lounge. He saw the mattress in the lounge occupied by a body and there was no way he was going to enter said lounge. He's never had anyone sleepover before. After about five or ten minutes of him checking out the threat assessment and Babybear actually moving around talking to him, did he cross the threshold and almost leopard crawl behind the chairs to get to the other side of the room. My brave, stout little cat. Hahaha.

Friends I wish you a wonderful week of positive experiences and wherever you go please stay safe and be aware of your surroundings, be the person who makes a difference in someone's life this week.


The rainbow on our way into Somerset West


One of the rainbows on my way home, please excuse the rain on the windscreen taking the pic in the car was the only way because the wind was so strong.


Timothy the tortoise

No comments: