Monday 23 January 2017

Solar power, kittens and exploring

Greetings from the Western Cape. What a beautiful day it is here in Betty's Bay, we awoke to a heavy mist completely blocking the mountains and the ocean from view, one of my favourite things when it is misty is how quiet and still everything is, it's like we are the only people on the planet. Sadly we chose today to explore the nearby town of Caledon where it just happened to be scorching hot, go figure. We had a lovely drive through all the dormant wheat fields and were quite surprised to find that Caledon is much bigger than expected, they even have a fair sized Mall with a good selection of shops. It is your typical small farming town with a lot of old buildings and due to the fact that there is a Hot Mineral Spa, there are a lot of B & B's and hotels. All in all a very pleasant days outing (except for the heat). As always it is SO good to be back home where the sea is still very misty but unfortunately no wind so quite humid.

Well friends among all the normal goings on Hubby dearest is busy installing a Solar system on the roof which has taken up quite a big chunk of his time and attention, shortly we will be up and running with that. Little Jasper has managed to commandeer a LOT of my time, which I admit is freely and happily given. This little kitten has completely stolen my heart and is even making progress with Gemma (the Ice Queen). He has already learnt to 'high five' for his meals and is now completely settled in the house, when he hears me call him or work with his food bowl he comes running up to see what's going on. He has also discovered a passion for left over cereal milk and yoghurt, my breakfast is a great adventure as I am trying to teach him the art of waiting hmmmm he hasn't mastered that yet. Jasper has one terror and that is any loud machines eg vacuum cleaner, hair dryer and so forth. This morning when Hubby brought the vacuum cleaner into the house Jasper ran up and sat next to me on the bed, I picked him up and held him tight as he was trembling at the noise, shame such a gentle little soul. One of his favourite things is to be carried around in my arms but don't get me wrong he is as playful and mischievous as any other kitten. Thankfully he does not 'draw' as much blood as Kiko did but he has left his mark haha. Dear old Gemma's patience is being sorely tested, last night for some unknown reason she came and sat on my lap and Jasper jumped right on top of her in order to taste test her ears. She growled a bit and only when he kept coming back did she jump off very indignantly, riffing her back and flicking her tail. They do however give each other nose kisses quite peacefully, it's when he wants to take it one step further towards playing that she gets fed up and stalks off.

I am quickly getting to the point of starting a new project - what that project is I am not entirely sure yet but I am leaning strongly to knitting a blanket of colour coordinated squares with each square or colour having a different pattern. This will be a super easy project as the squares will be light and easy to knit unlike the Pure Cotten Throws I knitted the girls for Christmas. We are also planning how we are going to enclose the deck with glass/sliding windows to maximise the outside feel and the sea view. This will give us an extra room as well as utilise that space more than we do now. , All very exciting I can tell you.

Friends that is the short version of my week, I hope you are all ready to tackle this new week and conquer any battles that you may find in your path. A meme I saw recently really stood out it says "On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure I remind myself that my track record for survival so far is 100%, so I've got this". Whatever this week throws at you friends, you've got this. Have an amazing week and always please stay safe.

P.S. For a video on Jasper doing his high five please go and look at my Facebook page or my Instagram page. It will not load onto the Blog for some reason

Jasper 'posing' for his photo.





No comments: