Monday 16 January 2017

A quiet week of bonding

Greetings all from a quiet and very windy Betty's Bay. Currently we seem to have one or two hot windless days and then a couple of cool and really windy days which I am not ashamed to say are my favourite. It is so very dry down here that the wild fires have been a huge problem and obviously the wind does not help at all. On Tuesday of last week I read that 162 fires were attended to in the Western Cape, the tragedy is that so many of these are set on purpose or through sheer carelessness with absolutely no thought or concern for the damage caused. What we are praying for in earnest is rain and lots of it.

Our week has been extremely quiet (as planned) with most of my time spent looking after and bonding with my little kitten Jasper. It has been such a joy to watch him come out of his shell, he is a timid but very playful little chap, and the minute he hears my voice or I pick him up he starts his little purr motor, we should have named him Purrcy haha. Jasper is not the most sure footed kitten and seems to think he is half cat half lamb, in that he never walks but skips and gambols along wherever he goes. Once I managed to get rid of all the fleas, which included him being bathed, very indignantly, we got down to the serious business of finding his way around the house, using the litter box and discovering that he could eat without being bullied out of the way, Little Jasper has very quickly wormed his way into our hearts and established his own little quirks and routines. He has decided that a shelf next to my bed is his safe/quiet place, he loves going into his cat box at night to sleep (I keep it next to the bed) and Praise the Lord he is quite happy to sleep until we wake up. In fact the other day Gemma woke me up early to go outside so after opening her window I opened the door on Jasper's box for him to get up if he wanted, he was having none of that and just stayed quietly curled up. When I got up sometime later I took him out and put him in the litter box and his response was to jump straight out and go back into his box and sleep, this little fellow decided about 20 minutes later that NOW was the time and got out, did his ablutions and then came for cuddles. As I type this he is curled up on my lap fast asleep. The good news is that it looks like he and Gemma will get along much better than she did with Kiko, she will growl at him but very quietly and he actually managed to catch her tail yesterday, he stalks her which is extremely funny to watch.

Hubby dearest has been busy with odd jobs around the house and is currently on his way home after picking up all the goodies that he needs in order to install and convert our geyser to Solar Enegy, I expect that wind permitting this is going to take up most of his time this week. It was Big Guys 40th Birthday on Friday, such a milestone birthday and I was unable to be there, the sad, ugh part of living in another Province. By all accounts he had an incredible Birthday and received some beautiful gifts. Happy Birthday again son!! We also had a long Skype session with Princess and her Mom on Saturday, it was so good to see their smiling faces and catch up on their news. Thank goodness for technology and what it allows us to do nowadays such as Skype, and message at any time, it certainly helps to stay in touch.

Friends, as I said a very quiet, uneventful week on my side. I hope that you are all back into the swing of things as far as work and school are concerned. As the pace of life picks up please take time to apprciate your family and those around you. Life is too short and it is up to us to make memories, remember that a kind word, affirmation or a smile can totally change someone's day. I wish you all a fabulous week and please stay safe.

Jasper posing for Mom. Looking like a big boy when he only weighs 830gm.


Jasper's favourite position, such a serious little face.

No comments: