Monday 9 January 2017

Back to normal, what is normal?

Hi folks, I am guessing most, if not all of you are now back at home, work, or about to start school and the holidays are going to become a pleasant memory. The reason for this early post is that we are about to leave for the airport to drop our little Princess of to fly home to Mommy. In one way it feels like she has been here for ages and yet on the other hand it feels altogether way too short, so bitter sweet having to say goodbye. Already the house is looking different and emptier. That however is going to be somewhat short lived as once we have seen Princess off we are going to collect my new 'baby' Jasper, we went and had a look at kittens on Saturday as I have been in touch with all of the rescue organisations for a couple of weeks. This little guy could not be more different to Kiko in looks as he is a teeny tiny little Tuxedo with the biggest ears (hopefully he will grow into them). I was so stressed in the run up to seeing the kittens because all I wanted was a connection with 'my' kitten irrespective of its looks. We saw his litter first and from the moment I picked him up he just sat and cuddled in my hand, actually half falling asleep. The one thing I really was hoping for was a kitten with single layer fur which is super soft and guess what ? He has single layer fur, just a total cuddle bunny. After seeing him I had to see a kitten which has been 'reserved' for me to view and the more I picked her up the more she struggled to get down - decision made and complete peace in my heart. No cat could ever replace Kiko but I pray that Jasper with his own unique personality will be just as unique.

As for the past week it has been quite busy with taking Princess surfing, we went through to Hermanus, in general quite a bit of activity. Added to that I have been dealing with quite a severe Fibro Flare so at times it was down to Grandpa to do the activities, so frustrating for me as I hate missing out on anything. It was also quite a tense week down here on this side of the Cape, we had massive wildfires along the Helderbeg mountains which badly affected Somerset West, Grabouw, Sir Lowry's Pass and that entire district. About 150 firefighters were brought in from other Provinces to help, at one point we had 350 firefighters on the ground, there was some damage to property which included two famous Wine Estates. Yesterday fires broke out about 20km east of Betty's Bay towards Hermanus and because it is so dry and the wind kept changing direction they very quickly got out of hand. I find it heartbreaking to see these fires raging and the damage they cause. On a positive note I have to say that living here in the Western Cape is a whole new experience in terms of how people react and how quickly things get done. We were warned that there could be electricity outages if the fire reached the power lines, which eventually they did. One of the main Kv 66,000 lines was destroyed which resulted in no power to Kleinmond, Betty's Bay, Pringle Bay and Rooi Els. If this had been Gauteng we would still be sitting without electricity, but after having been kept informed throughout the afternoon they switched us back on just after 9 pm a whole hour earlier than expected. Kudos to the firefighters, Eskom workers, all the locals who went and assisted with the fires, all the people who live in these areas who, within an hour set up feeding points and residents then go and donate water, food, eye drops, sweets etc to keep the teams on the go. It truly is good to see that there is a good side to humanity and people can and do still come together in unity. Well done all and thank you.

One of the things that has been on my heart since New Year is that 2017 is a brand new, blank slate waiting for history to be written. If we bring that down to individuals, tomorrow, this month, this year is a blank canvas and it is up to us to decide what painting we are going to create on it. I truly believe that our thoughts control our emotions and therefore our actions and reactions. Even when things go wrong if we maintain a positive attitude we will find a way to turn lemons into lemonade. I read a short article recently where a lady decided that she was going to stop saying sorry and replace it with thank you, in other words instead of saying "I'm sorry I'm late" she changed it to "thank you for waiting for me" and so on. This in turn had the most amazing affect on her thoughts and actions, we all know that words are creative, so here is a challenge for you (and me) start speaking positively over your life, start looking for how you can turn situations around, build others up and encourage those around you. Who is up for the challenge?

On that note friends I am going to love and leave you for this week. We have places to go and a new family member to collect, I wish you a wonderful week and, wherever you are please stay safe and alert to what's going on around you.

No comments: