Monday 19 February 2018

The dis-ease of busyness

Greetings folks on this slightly cooler Monday, happily we have had a little rain, 33mm here in Bettys Bay with some little towns having more, hopefully it has made a slight difference to our dam levels.  Last week was exceptionally humid (my absolute worst) and it was either literally blowing gale force or not a breath of air to be found.    We had a fairly normal week with all the usual busyness and projects that need doing, my extremely clever Hubby is busy making me 'screens' for the windows, to keep Jasper IN and the bugs and mosquitos OUT, I am so grateful for these as I tend to be a fresh air addict and cannot stand being anywhere where there is no fresh air or movement of air.

For the most part of last week I was feeling pretty grim due to a bladder infection which I eventually saw the doctor for and can gladly say the antibiotics are working and I am feeling better.  With our domestic zoo nothing much has changed, Jasper is learning to be gentle with the baby, Gemma has decided we are not the enemy and does not spend every day  'glamping'  out in the garden, she has actually spent some time on Hubby's lap and been more like her usual grumpy self.  As for CeCe we are still having litter box issues although a few more success than failures, I managed to speak to a Cat Behaviourist last week who listened to all the methods I've tried and then suggested just plain newspaper in the box, that sort of works, my next attempt is going to be putting soil from the garden in the box and if that works, gradually add cat litter until I can make a total change.  As for Max and Sasha they both had one or two adventures in that they managed to escape just as the gate was closing and then had to be chased down the road and caught #facepalm.  I was encouraged last week though, when I saw a message on our community group about someone's  Yorkie who had gone 'adventuring' somewhere, it is quite a common problem here hehe.  On Saturday morning as Jelly Bean and I left the  house, about 100 meters up the road we came across the most gorgeous little Cape Grysbok (see pic) just standing in the road looking at us before jumping off into the Fynbos.  It's moments like these that make living here so very special.

Jelly Bean and I were talking this morning about people taking time to smell the roses and how even as a young person she loves the fact that we don't live in a city, but can take time to just look at the ocean, or the stars or just the nature around us.  Which reminded me of something I read last week 'The Dis-ease of Busyness', a subject that is very close to my heart.  Folks let's face it, life is busy, there is no doubt about that.  It does not matter who you are or where you are everyone is busy, busy, busy.  The ones who bear the brunt of all this is our children, not only are we leading them by example but we are more often than not, missing out on those special, limited years we have with them.   ie.  "Mommy can you read me a story?"  "No baby, I have to finish XYZ". "Can we go for a walk on the beach ?"  "Maybe next week when I have finished the cleaning / cooking / work  etc".  We get so immersed in our routines and this need to be constantly doing something 'worthwhile' that our children / spouses and even ourselves never take time to just sit and be.  When last did you just sit and listen to the silence, or the birds chirping without the television or radio going in the background?  When last did you dance in the rain or sit outside looking at the sunset or the stars?  Not only will taking some time change your family relationships for the better but your stress levels will ease up a bit.  Friends we cannot look after ourselves and our families if we have nothing left to give, a candle cannot give light if it has a burnt out wick, I truly believe this applies to men as much as to us women.  I totally understand how stressful life is especially if you have children and doubly so if you are a single parent which in turn means it is doubly necessary.  I have discovered through the years that unless you actually get up and make it happen, nothing happens  and to that end would like to ask all of you to make a concientous effort this week to take some 'time out' for yourself and with your families and look forward to hearing what the results have been.

Right now I am off to make the three of us some coffee and some catch up with my precious Hubby, I wish you all a wonderful week, have fun and as always be safe please.

Our local Cape Grysbok

No comments: