Sunday 1 September 2024

Babies, Baboons and Battles

Welcome September, how did we get here so fast?  We have had three days of possible spring weather, which in Cape terms means the sun has shone continuously without rain.  What a month weather wise (and in every other possible way).  We have had so much rain and last week was a cold front of note which brought snow on the surrounding mountains, even on Table Mountain, so even though the sun is shining there is still a very cold chill in the air. Those "in the know" say that it has been the coldest and wettest winter in decades, we have certainly never seen 6c since we've been here.

Well ... August was quite the month. Starting with our gorgeous Grandson arriving on the 5th. None of us were told what his name was and when the Bears introduced him just after he was born they disclosed that he has been named after Big Bear's Dad, my late husband. That was an incredibly emotional moment for me because not for a second had I considered that, it is such an honour and he is named after an incredible man.  JB and I went to visit them in hospital the day after he was born and again more emotions and tears as I held him for the first time.  He weighed in at 3.49 kg and is absolutely perfect, Mommy is well and still managed to look glamorous right after his birth.  I believe that I will have to alter some nicknames here on the Blog so henceforth Baby Bear will be Mama Bear and junior will be Baby Bear.  As a family they are settling into routine and adjusting to an entirely new life.  We saw them again last Wednesday as Big Guy had flown down to meet his Nephew.  We gathered at a Wine Farm for lunch after which Big Guy came to spend a few days with us, making me a happy Mom, it was SO good to have him here with us, now that he has gone home the house feels too quiet and empty.  On Saturday we all met up at the Bears' home for lunch together with Poppet as a collective birthday celebration, the littlest Bear did not make an appearance as he slept right through the entire event. Needless to say this Granny has lost her heart to this tiny little human being.

Hubby has continued to make an amazing recovery from his back surgery and is back doing everything he did before, with no pain or discomfort, Praise God for that.  He is back working on various clocks and watches which continue to come in on a regular basis.  My work has been slightly quiet but I have had a lot to keep me busy.  Thank the Lord the Balaclava Hoodie I made for my friend fits like a dream and is a big hit.  I also got out the other two crocheted Octopuses and perfected the stress Worry Worm, currently I am busy making JB a chunky shrug cardigan which is fun.

Barely a week after baby was born, Sasha which is Jelly Bean's dog of 15 yearanof age, became ill.  We took her to the Vet who did some tests and diagnosed Pancreatitus, I had changed her tinned food for a well known brand which is apparently very high in fat.  We had just walked in from the appointment and when we set her down her tummy just released a big puddle of bloody viscous type liquid. I immediately called the vet who came right out and took her back to the Hospital for the night with further medication and on a drip.  Given her age we were pretty sure this was the end. But, tough little trooper that she is by next morning she was somewhat better and late that afternoon we were able to bring her home. It was pancreatitis and severe hemorrhagic enteritis.  My goodness!! She has finished all her meds and is her normal, bouncy,  somewhat deaf, somewhat blind, happy self again.


On the 21st we had a rather harrowing incident.  JB and I were sitting in the lounge, both with headphones on, when I heard her gasp.  I looked up and there in the doorway stood an enormous male baboon with three of his companions right next to him.  He was about a metre into the room whilst the other three were standing behind my huge bean bag.  I stood up calmly and tried to shoo them out but, Mr  Aplha just kept walking in. I picked up a spray bottle which sits on the table next to me, and sprayed the three in the doorway who stepped back onto the deck.  The big one just walked straight up to our fridge, opened the freezer door and took out a loaf of frozen bread before closing the door and walking back out of the door. It was as calm and targeted as if he lived here. What I did not realise at the time was that little Zeepha must have been on the deck and once the big baboon walked onto the deck the other three tried to join him in his feast and there was a bit of an argument.  We do not know if Zeepha got caught between them or if, in terror she took off and jumped out of the window.  eventually, thanks to the spray bottle they relocated themselves to the front yard where the big one took his time eating the frozen bread and the other three investigated the yard, discovered the sugar water bottle for the birds (spray bottle out again and that chased that one off) and played with each other.  After some time they moved across the yard and Hubby was able to turn the hosepipe on them which sent them running.  I can assure you it took a long time for heart rates and adrenalin levels to calm down.  About an hour later Zeepha came in and we then realised she had hurt her right front leg.  I took her to the vet the next day and after xrays  we saw that she had dislocated her elbow very badly.  Our vet sedated her and with difficulty managed to reposition her elbow and wrapped it well for protection.  She has really struggled to adjust to this and I have had to lift her up or put her down from where she sits, eats etc.  The Dr contacted another Vetrinary Practice who quoted R30 000. to operate with no guarantees, needless to say we don't have that kind of money. He also spoke to other Vets in the area after taking the splint bandage off this past week, and the consensus is that there must be ligament damage and surgery has no guarantees. Amputation at this stage is not necessary or recommended as her leg has blood flow and is warm.  In just the last two days I have seen that she is getting up and down some furniture  fairly well, making use of the little things I have put in place to create small steps.  My heart absolutely breaks as she is such a gentle, tiny little thing who loves to play her own imaginary games and zoomies, and she now holds her leg with the paw facing upward. Obviously there is also emotional trauma so lots and lots of TLC and scratches for her.  This is the first time ever that the main troop have come as far down as us, which now has us on hyper alert, especially going into the warmer weather. It truly feels as if we paid the Vet's Rental for August. 🤦🏻‍♀️

To say that August was an emotional tsunami would be somewhat of an understatement, sometimes there comes a time when the bounce back elastic has lost its stretch and I am experiencing that at the moment.  I know that I will bounce back but this last month with all it's extreme highs and lows was just a bit more than I was ready for.  This I do know for a certainty - God has always seen me through the valleys and the mountains and He has not stepped away or let go. My favourite scripture Jeremiah 29 v 11 says For I Know the thoughts and plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope.  Comforting words for sure. 

Well folks, my prayer is that September is a peaceful, gentle month for us all.  Wherever you are reading this from, if your elastic has lost it's stretch then please be kind to yourself, you are not alone. Please reach out to someone who you can talk to and don't be tempted to try and superwoman yourself out of the hole, it is perfectly ok to say "time out".  To all,  stay well and stay safe. Ciao Ciao.

May these little feet be blessed wherever they tread


Worry worm

Little Zeepha's pre and post pics.



No comments: